Sunday, October 19, 2008

Technaught - Dancing with Gods

Technaught - playing with Gods

I met Aphrodite almost a year ago who begot me a Tony Vaio VGN-TZ17GN which was truly crafted and blessed by her. She was compact, light, clear viewing, great flaunts and fully loaded (too fully loaded in fact so much so, it feels like a hummer dragging an earth moving machine). Divided partitions, made my bed and lived with her.

I didn’t know Aphrodite had a friend, I noticed the voluptuous one behind her only a little later. She told me her name was Circe. She begot Vista, the pre-loaded Vista Business edition. I was a masochist and am now a hog!

Its been almost a year now since I met them. Yesterday, Loki came a-visiting and I made friends with him! He said, "Hey! Its Indian Guy Fawkes and you should have lotsa time on hand. I gift you ubuntu. It will save you future time - time you will waste waiting for Circe's gifts (with sony bloatware) to beget, boot and load. I trusted Loki because I had Mandrake's linux five years ago and left it at the Church’s steps due to paucity of time then. Also, I now have ubuntu on my P-4 core 2 duo, 2 mb ram, 256 gb dedicated video ram, 500 gb SATA hard disk desktop. Downloaded latest updates and drivers, RTFMed and fora-surfed and got it running. It works well! Fabulous in fact!

"Good boy!" whispered Loki.

Loki and I then went to a party where he introduced me to Bacchus. Thereafter, after 20 hours without sleep, several whiskeys, many conversations about financial meltdown, legal talk, cricket, singing and heavy mutton biryani dinner down, I returned home to follow Loki's advice and proceeded to load hardy heron's ubuntu 8.04 on the root primary partitioned drive of my Tony Vaio. Partitioner commenced automatically, resized that partition and installed ubuntu. After installation and first load, ubuntu recognised my wifi modem and asked for passphrase. Keyed that in. No dice. Kept returning the message to enter passphrase. I noticed a hard "WLAN" light wasn't on. Thought ethernet / wifi card not recognised by ubuntu. Restarted machine to log into vista. Lost that. Couldn't log into ubuntu or vista. Reloaded ubuntu. Ubuntu again asked to resize partition. Loki whispered again "OK kar do". Maine "OK" kar diya hain jee (more on this some other time). I suddenly noted that the partition containing vista suddenly grew bigger (now remember that sony laptops with vista have recovery s/w lurking in the hard drive taking up upto about 30 gigs!). Ignored that and continued to re-install ubuntu. "So far so good. Now what?" (thanks, Bryan). Still no internet still no network recognition.

Loki restarted my machine to log into windows. Morpheus who crept in through the balcony, nudged me there for a sec. In GRUB loader, there will be several references to ubuntu. On my desktop, there is one reference to XP for loading options. On my tony vaio, there were 2 references to loading vista. I chose the first. That happened to be the Longhorn's recovery s/w. After realising this, I hastily cancelled the process. Then Lilith slipped into bed with me. She hit the restart button and smiled at me, mouthing the words "error 22". I grunted and re-reloaded ubuntu again.

Lilith laughed soundlessly and mercilessly ate up more gigs from the drive containing vista and probably a hiding corrupted ubuntu. I have less than 2 gigs of free space left on the primary drive. I am now traversing and googling the vast and dense foliage of ubuntu lands in search of the lost gigs.

More as I discover ...

No comments: