Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Movie Review - Magadheera

MAGADHEERA - reviewed

I liked it!

The opening bits actually made me feel as if I was watching a Chinese mythological movie and parts of the myth bits in the second half as well. Not a Telugu speaker, I kinda groped my way through the movie understanding parts of it. The characters were developed not in an epic fashion, but enough for the locals. Given that it is over two timelines, finding the "fine" line to synchronise the two characters takes a finer storyteller. The heroine is eye-candy enough, the boy should satisfy the female movie goer's as well. The antagonist does just what the film makers and Indians want. Fairly decent grunting and wincing and frowning and all that.

The special effects are very good and though the story line is very crappy, the story telling doesn't lose tempo. Some of the studio sets are overly visible kinda transporting you to the Indian mythological movies of yore.

All in all, it is over the top. Over regurgitated storyline, over cliched, over dramatic, over melodramatic, over hackneyed formulae. But suffer through all this and you will enjoy it. But that's India for you. Every thing is over done just like its food and spices and its now a part of the Indian bloodstream to enjoy stuff like this. This is pure masala movie magic.

Chappu Kala Bhairava! Nu yaem kalu dante (I have no idea what this frigging means, apart from the first 3 words, but I am recalling some of the scenes while writing this and these words are ringing in my head).

I'm sure no animals or humans were hurt while making this film.

No comments: